i have purchased my own website and will be moving domains within the next few months. while i am sad to leave my posts behind, i am so very excited to get my own domain. i will continue to pursue my passion of writing about my travels, style and thoughts so nothing will be too different, however, i am trying to get a site where i can showcase my schoolwork (things i make that i really like)…you know, look a little more professional while still being true to myself as well as my readers. bear with me these next few months as i make my transition and fill the new site with fun things. even though i have been blogging since middle school, i am very new to these high-tech, design-complex websites so please bear with me! i am grateful for my small (but amazing!) following and hope that your experience on my new site will be even better.
the new website it katieywong.com (keep in mind, it’s as fresh as a baby’s butt).
wow i’m super late posting this but here’s what july is looking like for me.
still eating those avocados with just a lil salt n’ peppa. mmm. so good!
coffee. hot coffee in the morning and iced during the day. (notice i don’t specify how many cups i gulf down a day.)
the huge bags of from sam’s club are the bomb. eating those like i eat ice cream…that’s big guys…
still wearing jeans like it’s winter. it’s actually been nice enough to wear pants without dying. disclaimer: i don’t get out much so whatever feels comfy at home works.
i just developed this obsession with maxi dresses. lol i’m a midget so 98% of the time i trip on them. i haven’t quite found one that i can’t live without but whenever i get the chance to ditch the pants, i’m all in.
i will say, i’ll wear jeans to work then the second i get home i throw on my balloon pants or pajama shorts. this girl is all about flowy and far from the skin!
ugh, i’m obsessed with this new band (new to me), the ceremonies. it’s a band of three brothers and their friend and are all artists (painters). their music is 80’s new wave nostalgia combined with alternative rock. they don’t have a lot of songs but they have done covers on youtube. their latest original song, lovecaught, has been on repeat a little too much. but what can i say? when i find a good song, i’m a dedicated fan. not to mention, they aren’t terrible to look at. it’s probably just me but whatever.
the head and the heart have a new album coming out but their new song, all we ever knew, is just one of those feel-good songs.
overplayed? yes. still dancing through the aisles to this? definitely, yes. dude, CAN’T STOP.
maybe it’s because i have been taking three online classes, but i’ve really read nothing else. i love reading but i have to be in the mood, and lately i haven’t been in the mood. oops.
there’s two more months of summer break (wowow. times flies by so fast) and there’s much to do. i am moving to another house in sav and i have been pinning non-stop for decorating ideas, food recipes, drink recipes, etc.
i have high expectations for senior year and i understand most things don’t pan out like you want them to but i’m going to keep a positive attitude and think realistically about future decisions and plans.
for the families who have been affected by the dallas shooting
for the families who had to be told that their child was killed in a freak accident
there is so much going on in this world right now and it pains me to read the headlines everyday..i don’t like to share my opinions online so i’ll leave that at this: we all need each other, doesn’t matter race, sexuality or religion. like it or not, we all need each other to love, support and protect.
also i’ve been a little m.i.a. and i’m sorry about that. yesterday i started working and i’ve been thankful for the hours given but boy, each shifts wears me out. i come home and can only think about sleep. my classes are beginning to wrap up and i’m very happy about that. how’s your summer been going?
been looking for the perfect boater hat and i think i found it here (straw version) and here (felt version)! if you aren’t located in australia and don’t love the international shipping costs, brixton supply co. has great options (i have their magdelena hat and i can’t wait to get more)!
yesterday I turned 21. honestly, it felt like another day but with more baggage. and when i mean baggage, i mean the ones that rest under your eyes, you know? yesterday I became more legal than i was when i turned 18 (??). a person learns a lot in their lifetime and here’s a few things i’ve learned in my wee little life.
21 things I’ve learned (order not in any significance):
1. the 20’s are a vulnerable period of your life. it is also the most exciting part of your life. learn to enjoy every season. i think many can agree that this is hard and it takes a few slaps on the face or enough dumps in the pit to realize the beauty of it.
2. dance, laugh and sing because those are when the memories are made. the best kind of laughing is when you’re crawling on the ground because the only position you can be in is that of a four legged animal.
3. life is full of disappointment, but don’t let it get you down. you’re going to get hurt. don’t worry, you’re most likely riding the same roller coaster as someone else. safety tip: be sure to check that your seatbelt is on real tight and i mean like so tight that you’re only half suffocating. okay that’s a little extreme but i say that from the bottom of my heart.
4. a person’s action speak more than their words. so basic but so true..i’m guilty
5. do it for you, not for others. but be respectful of others.
6. treat others as you treat yourself.
7. also, treat yo’self. the best thing you can do for you is take care of yourself. i hate reading self-care books but i know that they all have one thing in common and that is knowing your worth.
8. be open to ideas. Sometimes people have the same great ideas as you…and sometimes they don’t and they’re just as stupid as some of yours..
9. agree to disagree (mom can vouch on this one). no person is made the same, thank the Lord!!
10. you plant a seed in one’s life everyday without even knowing. surprise! you are influencing others in so many ways.
11. fight for what you believe in. We need more people doing it, but please, have decency.
12. God wants you to fear him but he also wants you to trust him. He’s the real deal y’all!!
13. life’s too short to be normal, buy the teenage mutant ninja turtle shirt (pretty rad purchase if i say so myself) or the leopard print tightie wighties (no one can see them anyways!).
14. it’s okay to cry, even if you look like a freakin’ monster. it means you’re human and you’re probably the ugliest crier but it’s okay..
15. when food doesn’t satisfy, go on a walk/drive. fresh air seems to do the trick. just don’t loose your keys AND check for the weather.
16. be the bigger person. if you see something, say something!!
17. invest in someone who wants to invest in you. if it’s a way one street, say “adios amigo!” you tried and that’s what counts.
18. if someone tells you you’re crazy, smile or laugh it off. kill ’em with kindness (& besides, you already know you’re crazy)
19. suck it up and just do it. there are going to be countless things you don’t want to do. unfortunately the world keeps spinning whether you like it or not.
20. you’re aren’t going to be best buds with everyone but it’s nice to know that someone cares about you.
21. travel. heck, travel by yourself. when you get in your comfort zone, you’re missing out on all of what the world is offering you. like i said earlier, make sure you don’t loose your keys and that you have enough gas to trek up that mountain.
of course i have more to add but that’s for next year. hope this helps or inspires you to try a few of these out🙂
today we went driving along the columbia river and crossed a bridge that led us to hood river, washington/oregon. then eventually found another bridge that led us enroute to mt. hood (about 2 hours away from portland) where we made more than enough stops enjoying the beautiful scenery. for a little while i though i was in france because there were lavender fields, cherry orchards and every landscape you could imagine in just one area!
i wish i had the gut to take some with me
france is that you?
i wanted these too
i could be here forever
gondola rides over portlant
we went to downtown portland yesterday and it was awesome but i can’t say it was my favorite part. i’m definitely falling in love with the surrounding areas but i’m not sure i want to be in the center of it all. i mean, these photos say a lot, right?!
water, water, water because i feel like a dried spongebob if i don’t..
avocados with just a lil salt n’ peppa
a given but…iced coffee because sometimes water just doesn’t cut it (a cycle really: if water doesn’t cut it, then coffee. if coffee doesn’t cut it, then water)
i’m really feeling the 70’s style with the wide leg pants and peasant tops. basically anything flowing and stays far, far away from my body, while still being on my body. in middle school i came up with a theory about running around the world commando (you can personally ask me what it was since i don’t want my mom seeing this. sorry mom). i got many weird looks because of this theory but dangit, i nailed it.
long dresses because i hate shorts but i die in my 5 pairs of jeans that i packed
activewear. can i just say that they’re a step from sweats but still don’t require zips and ties that regular clothes require?
most summer seasons i feel like a nun because i don’t feel the need to expose any of the b’s (if you don’t already know: boobs, butt, belly, back…i’m okay with back as long as you wash it. please & thank you.) but all of these stores are selling what seems to me bikinis forever. if you also don’t know this about me, i don’t like to tan. i do whether i like to or not, but i do. i walk outside to water the plants, i’m a shade darker. i walk outside to take a picture of my newly bloomed flowers, i’m a shade darker. i walk outside to tell my dad to take out the trash, i’m a shade darker. it’s inevitable whether i like it or not, but purposely exposing myself to the sun with bandages as clothes does not help the situation. am i right? does anyone else struggle to find cool, comfy clothes without feeling like they’re over exposing themselves or having to suffer by wearing longer, warmer clothes?
also another given, roadtrip = hours + hours of music. nothing too new or crazy
band of horses new songs
for any of you spotify users, i’ve been really enjoying the jazz playlists that other users have put together. while they may not be the best roadtrip songs to listen too, they are great for backyard hangs/summer nights
cbc savannah podcasts. whenever i miss a sunday (more now because i’m back home), i make sure to listen to the sermon through the church’s podcast and it’s great because you can listen to it anywhere when you need a break from music but hate the silence
i’m gonna get real harsh stares for this but..i’ve been listening to my sisters argue for days over mundane things. i may or may not be the cause of some it but that’s completely, 50%, besides the point.
same disclaimer as before: katie listens to whatever she likes despite people’s opinions, HOWEVER, mom and i have very different opinions about this..
it’s only the beginning of the month so i haven’t picked up too many new things. if i’m honest, i’m still reading some of the books i mentioned last month (may was a busy month for many of us).
milk & honey by rupi kaur. she’s written about some important subjects
(some relatable and some not so). i find it inspiring and touching. some of these seem like they could be found on tumblr or whatever but it’s nice to have physical copy to read through. i will say that this isn’t something i would recommend for my 17 year old sister or younglings; there is some adult content that i would rather have my parents explain to me rather than learning it from this book.
good lord, what’s going to happen when everything is digital. i vote 100% against it.
seeing the rest of oregon (we head to portland for the next few days and i can’t wait)
of turning 21. seriuosly, 18 is nothing. the best thing about turning 18 was that i could drive legally without having parental supervision…big whoop…maybe i’ll write a post about turning 21. yeah, i’ll probably do that. expect that one for sure.]
getting serious, professional (or at least better looking) photos of my work done. i don’t know where to start but i added a few below of my latest work. for being free and taken by my 10 year old sister, they aren’t too bad except that i’m the model, and i’m nowhere near fitting that description. anyways, thanks lydia!
safe travels for everyone who is returning home, going to an internship, etc.!
trying not to barf from all of the seriousness
that’s the problem with being asian. you can only see through one eye if it’s too bright.