yesterday I turned 21. honestly, it felt like another day but with more baggage. and when i mean baggage, i mean the ones that rest under your eyes, you know? yesterday I became more legal than i was when i turned 18 (??). a person learns a lot in their lifetime and here’s a few things i’ve learned in my wee little life.
21 things I’ve learned (order not in any significance):
1. the 20’s are a vulnerable period of your life. it is also the most exciting part of your life. learn to enjoy every season. i think many can agree that this is hard and it takes a few slaps on the face or enough dumps in the pit to realize the beauty of it.
2. dance, laugh and sing because those are when the memories are made. the best kind of laughing is when you’re crawling on the ground because the only position you can be in is that of a four legged animal.
3. life is full of disappointment, but don’t let it get you down. you’re going to get hurt. don’t worry, you’re most likely riding the same roller coaster as someone else. safety tip: be sure to check that your seatbelt is on real tight and i mean like so tight that you’re only half suffocating. okay that’s a little extreme but i say that from the bottom of my heart.
4. a person’s action speak more than their words. so basic but so true..i’m guilty
5. do it for you, not for others. but be respectful of others.
6. treat others as you treat yourself.
7. also, treat yo’self. the best thing you can do for you is take care of yourself. i hate reading self-care books but i know that they all have one thing in common and that is knowing your worth.
8. be open to ideas. Sometimes people have the same great ideas as you…and sometimes they don’t and they’re just as stupid as some of yours..
9. agree to disagree (mom can vouch on this one). no person is made the same, thank the Lord!!
10. you plant a seed in one’s life everyday without even knowing. surprise! you are influencing others in so many ways.
11. fight for what you believe in. We need more people doing it, but please, have decency.
12. God wants you to fear him but he also wants you to trust him. He’s the real deal y’all!!
13. life’s too short to be normal, buy the teenage mutant ninja turtle shirt (pretty rad purchase if i say so myself) or the leopard print tightie wighties (no one can see them anyways!).
14. it’s okay to cry, even if you look like a freakin’ monster. it means you’re human and you’re probably the ugliest crier but it’s okay..
15. when food doesn’t satisfy, go on a walk/drive. fresh air seems to do the trick. just don’t loose your keys AND check for the weather.
16. be the bigger person. if you see something, say something!!
17. invest in someone who wants to invest in you. if it’s a way one street, say “adios amigo!” you tried and that’s what counts.
18. if someone tells you you’re crazy, smile or laugh it off. kill ’em with kindness (& besides, you already know you’re crazy)
19. suck it up and just do it. there are going to be countless things you don’t want to do. unfortunately the world keeps spinning whether you like it or not.
20. you’re aren’t going to be best buds with everyone but it’s nice to know that someone cares about you.
21. travel. heck, travel by yourself. when you get in your comfort zone, you’re missing out on all of what the world is offering you. like i said earlier, make sure you don’t loose your keys and that you have enough gas to trek up that mountain.
of course i have more to add but that’s for next year. hope this helps or inspires you to try a few of these out 🙂